According to CPS, a gas bottle caught alight whilst a family was braaing in Louw Wepener Street, Alberante.
The Ekurhuleni Fire department responded quickly and the fire was extinguished and resulted in minimal damage to the property.
On Saturday evening, a fire engulfed a house in Grosskopf Street, Randhart.
Allegedly the fire started due to an electrical blanket.
Important Fire Safety Tips from the Fire Protection Association of Southern Africa.
- Keep matches out of the reach of children
- Do not overload electrical sockets or run electrical cords under carpets
- Install smoke detectors in your home
- Take care with portable heat generating appliances such as irons, kettles and heaters
- Develop and practice an escape plan – plan two ways out of every bedroom
- Never use flammable liquids for starting braai fires or to remove stains from clothing
- Know what to do if a fire occurred
- Display your local Fire Department telephone number near the phone then learn it
- Crawl low in smoke
- Never open a door that is hot to the touch
- Wake everybody in the house
- If your clothing catches fire – STOP, DROP, ROLL
- Have a safe place to meet out of the house
Never re-enter the house for pets or personal belongings