Triple pig & fig braai broodjies
Makes: 4-5 broodjies | Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 10 – 15 minutes
10 slices of white bread
1 cup melted butter
Whole grain mustard
1 small red onion, sliced thin
½ cup mayonnaise
A small handful of chopped chives
200 g streaky bacon, braaied
5 slices of smoked ham
5 slices of peppered ham
250 g mature cheddar, grated
250 g mozzarella, grated
4-5 preserved figs, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Braai or fry your bacon until it’s done to your liking.
- Mix your mayo, chives and sriracha together in a bowl. How much sriracha you add is up to how brave you’re feeling.
- Mix your two cheeses together in a bowl.
- Use a brush to paint both sides of your bread slices with butter.
- Spread all your slices out onto a large chopping board or straight onto the kitchen counter.
- On one side of the broodjie, spread whole grain mustard, and on the other side spread the sriracha mayo.
- On the mustard side add some red onion followed by a good amount of cheese.
- On the Sriracha side add a good amount of cheese.
- On the mustard side, place a slice of peppered ham and top it with a little cheese. Then add the smoked ham and top it with a few slivers of fig.
- Top the fig with a small sprinkle of cheese then add the bacon. The idea is to get layers of cheese in between the meat.
- Finally close your broodjie up with the Sriracha mayo side and give it a gentle press to squish it together.
- Now rinse and repeat with the rest of the broodjies.
- Braai the broodjies very slowly in a flip grid over medium to low coals until the cheese is melted through. Be careful not to rush it or you will have un-melted cheese in the centre.
Photo Credit: yuppiechef