The mussels add an incredible briny flavour to the pancetta, shallot, garlic, herbs and wine sauce…with a bit of cream and butter to add some luxuriousness.
- 8 – 10 slices bread
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 30 grams pancetta chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 lb mussels scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Juice whole lemon about 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper to taste healthy pinch of both
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Turn grill on medium-high, or pre-heat oven to 230 degrees.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil.
- Grill, or bake, until toasted. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add pancetta and cook until crispy, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add another dash of olive oil to the pan. Add garlic and herbs and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add mussels and white wine, cover the pan, and steam until the mussels open, about 7 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lid, and add heavy cream, butter, lemon, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes – stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
- Place mussels and sauce into serving dish. Discard any mussels that did not open during the steaming process.
- Garnish with parsley, plus another small pinch of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Serve with toasted bread.