This Grilled Halloumi Cheese Bake is a quick and healthy, vegetarian dinner. Delicious crispy, salty cheese slices on top of a tasty tomato vegetable sauce, perfect for dunking!
- 1 tsp Olive oil Plus extra for brushing
- 1 Large Onion Peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 Cloves Garlic Peeled and crushed
- 2 Medium Courgettes (Zucchini) Chopped into chunks
- 1 Large Aubergine (Egg plant) Chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 400 g Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Honey
- Salt and pepper
- 250 g Halloumi cheese
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan, add the onion and garlic and soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the courgettes, aubergine, cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, honey and salt and pepper. Half fill the empty tomato can with water and splosh in too. Pop the lid on the pan and let everything cook down for about 10 minutes. (See notes below.)
- Preheat the grill to very hot.
- When the sauce had thickened and softened, cut the halloumi cheese into thin slices, place on top of the vegetable sauce and brush (or spray) with oil.
- Pop under the grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese is crunchy and golden.
10 minutes is the minimum time to cook down the vegetable stew part of this recipe, if I have longer, I try to let it cook for up to 30 minutes. It’s not necessary, but it just makes it a bit richer in flavour.
Try to use a good quality tomato puree, it will really add to the flavour of this dish.
Source: taming twins