COVID-19, drought… and now, you can add the aftermath of widespread riots to the list of events that have sparked a ‘State of Disaster’ in KZN. Provincial Premier Sihle Zikalala said on Thursday that KwaZulu-Natal would become the only region to enter a THIRD set of emergency measures in the past 18 months.
The impact of the looting and unrest that threatened to destabilise South Africa rocked KZN to its core.
The province is now understood to have lost BILLIONS as a result of the riots, plunging local finances into despair. Zikalala stated that his Provincial Legislature will need immediate intervention and funding from national government.
“As the Provincial Cabinet, we have taken the decision to declare KZN a State of Disaster. This is because the private sector lost a lot, and serious damage was done by the public during riots. Not only that, but the estimated damage costs has run-up a bill of billions of rand. That is why we have applied for such a declaration, to help the province recover.”
BREAKING: KZN will be placed under a state of disaster.
— Karinda Jagmohan (@Karinda_J) July 29, 2021
After assessing the damage across the province, Zikalala has decided to pursue yet another State of Disaster.
In March 2020, the whole country was slapped by the first set of lockdown rules, and despite their ever-changing nature, that first declaration of emergency governance has remained with us ever since.
Last week, the entire country was alerted to a new set of State of Disaster, as the ANC raised the alarm about dam levels in South Africa. The ‘drought warning’ will now allow senior government figures to control local and regional water production. However, despite the recent violence also spilling into Gauteng, only KZN went for the hat-trick.
[BREAKING NEWS] KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala says the province will declare a State of Disaster due to the unrest.
He says the declaration will help the province reprioritise its budget.
— SITHOLEEXPRESS (@SthembisoMedia) July 29, 2021