A mould toxin, found mainly in rotting apples, has been detected in a number of popular LiquiFruit products sold on by Pioneer Foods. The manufacturing group was forced to issue a full recall for five separate items on Thursday, after they were discovered to contain unusually high levels of mycotoxin patulin.
An unhealthy amount of this fungus in your body can cause serious nausea and vomiting. A statement issued by the company last night aimed to quell consumer fears, insisting that this course of action ‘was a precaution’:
“The health and wellbeing of our consumers is of absolute importance to us, and hence when we identified the potential of a food safety issue, after in-house standard testing and engagement with one of our local suppliers, we immediately launched an internal investigation into all our 100% apple juice products”.
Various brands of apple juice have been put up for recall by Pioneer Foods:
Customers will be able to return these items to the store of purchase, where they will be granted a full refund.
This latest incident comes a little over a week after Coca-Cola SA was forced to recall six batches of Appletiser brands, also due to elevated contents of mycotoxin patulin – with the poisonous element posing a problem for our soft drinks.
More than 37 000 cases of Appletiser have since been recalled, as the industry opts to play things safe.
Last week Coca-Cola announced the recall of Appletiser products due to excessive levels of patulin found in certain batches, now Pioneer Foods has also recalled some LiquiFruit products because of the same mycotoxin…excessive amounts can lead to vomiting and nausea.
— Quinton Mtyala (@mtyala) October 7, 2021