1 hr 30 mins
PAP: a staple food for many South Africans; a porridge made from mealie meal (maize meal) cooked with water and salt to different consistencies.
Serves 6 to 8
750 ml coarse mealie meal
500 ml water
375 ml low-fat milk
½ tsp salt
60 ml olive or canola oil
410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
45 ml chopped fresh parsley
60 ml coarsely grated cheddar cheese
1 corn on the cob, kernels cut from the cob or ½ cup (125 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Place the mealie meal, water, milk, salt, oil and sweetcorn in a large mixing bowl. Stir well so that no dry meal is visible.
2. Lightly grease a 20 x 27 cm oven dish with oil and spoon mealie meal mixture into dish.
3. Arrange onion wedges on mealie meal. Mix parsley, cheese and corn and sprinkle evenly over onions.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until the mealie meal is cooked through. Serve hot.
1. Serve with barbecue sauce.
2. Bake the mealie meal mixture without the onion and cheese mixture until cooked. Mix 1 x 410 g tin onion and tomato mix with the parsley and onion wedges. Spoon onto cooked mealie meal bake, sprinkle with cheese and corn and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tomato layer is heated through. Serve immediately.