Nikita Murray’s lawyer has released a statement on behalf of her and her husband Matthew. The statement, in an effort to put to bed the “malicious” effects of a video that went viral towards the end of last month, was released on Tuesday 3 November. The video made the rounds on social media whereby Monique Muller, Katlego Maboe’s estranged girlfriend, interrogated him about cheating on her and passing on a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
In the video, Maboe alleged that Murray was the woman he had cheated with. Maboe, who is known for featuring in Outsurance adverts and hosting a SABC breakfast show, has had South Africans divided ever since. While some have slammed the TV star for his actions, others have supported him, criticising Muller for airing their “dirty laundry” in front of the world.
Murray’s lawyer, Vincent Bergh of Liquor Law and Business Consultants, issued a statement which read; “accusation against Nikita Murray by Katlego Maboe”.
“Our clients are very perturbed about the wild allegations flying around in the media, involving Mrs Murray and her family. Due to these allegations, Mrs Murray had undergone a medical test to confirm that she has no sexual transmitted disease,” said Bergh.
“The claims by Mr Maboe that Mrs Murray was the cause of him contracting the STD as accused of by the person who made the video, is therefore irresponsible and impossible,” he added.
Murray’s legal team said it would like to reiterate that their clients are “happily married” and have dealt with the effects of the “malicious video in private”.
“Their marriage is stronger than before,” said Bergh.
“They want to thank all their family and friends and the public who had supported them during these trying times. We trust that you will set the record straight and not harass our clients any further. All future questions can be submitted to us via e-mail and we will respond as and when necessary,” he added.
Bergh said, in future, all questions and communications regarding the video on social media and the claims made in that video by Maboe regarding Murray should take place via their offices.
On Tuesday morning, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) told The South African that Maboe would be appearing in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court in connection with a protection order.
A few hours later, the NPA made a U-turn saying that Maboe did not appear in the magistrate’s court on Tuesday due to a mix up of sorts with the docket.
Prior to the announcement, the Rapport said Maboe was expected to appear in court for allegedly breaching a protection order taken out against him by Muller.
NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said, “When the prosecutor saw an article about allegations made, she contacted the police and asked about the court appearance. She was given today’s date for the court appearance.”
“This morning [Tuesday] the docket was not brought to court as was expected. She has since asked for the docket to peruse it,” he added.
Ntabazalila said no date has yet been set for Maboe’s appearance. There have, however, been reports that Maboe was present at the Cape Town regional court on Tuesday.
Maboe has not been active on social media since the release of the video. His last words, so to speak, were;
“I was unfaithful to my partner during a very important time of our lives – an act I regret to this day. We are currently undergoing an unfortunate and painful separation which is being resolved through legal proceedings.”