This delicious shortcake is stunning as a hot dessert, served with ice cream or custard. You’ll be making this one time and time again.
- 250 g softened butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 can Peaches Sliced in Syrup
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a bowl or food processor beat together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla essence until creamy and well mixed.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir or pulse to mix well.
- With floured hands press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of a 22cm square cake tin lined with baking paper.
- Drain Peaches and reserve syrup. Place on dough with the apple slices.
- Dot remaining mixture over the top of the fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked and top is golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. While still warm, brush with syrup glaze or leave until cold and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- To make the syrup glaze, pour the peach syrup into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to reduce by half.