Members of President Donald Trump’s cabinet on Wednesday discussed the possibility of removing the infamous president from office after supporters stormed the Capitol. This according to reports by 3 USA News Channels. After a night of shameful violence at the Capitol Building, which was seemingly ‘encouraged’ by the outgoing president, the current cabinet may not have another choice.
Discussions on Wednesday focused on the 25th amendment to the US Constitution, which allows for a president’s removal by the vice president and cabinet if he is judged “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.” Invoking it would require Vice President Michael Pence to lead the cabinet in a vote on removing Trump from office.
Pence quickly became the enemy of Trump and Trump supporters. Pence, after four years of unwavering loyalty to the one-term US President, on Wednesday went ahead in his attempts to certify the election results and officially confirm Joe Biden as America’s next president. The scenes of destruction and violence in the capitol erupted soon thereafter.
CNN quoted Republican leaders (unnamed) saying the 25th amendment had been discussed. They described Trump as “out of control.” Others have slammed him for “inciting a domestic terror attack”.
Democrats of the House Judiciary Committee sent an urgent letter to Pence imploring him to act to remove Trump. The letter stated that President Trump had stoked an act of insurrection and “sought to undermine our democracy.” Pointing to a rambling speech Trump gave Wednesday, it said he “revealed he is not mentally sound and is unable to process the results of the 2020 election.”
Meanwhile, social media giants Facebook and Instagram temporarily banned Donald Trump for 24 hours on Wednesday over posts accused of inflaming violence in the US Capitol, as social media scrambled to respond to mayhem by supporters buying into his baseless attacks on the integrity of the election. Twitter also removed some of his posts, which fanned the flames of insurrection.
Guy Rosen. Facebook vice president of integrity, said that the company were particularly concerned by the video Trump had uploaded to all of his social media channels, which repeated false allegations about the US Election and labelled the far-right radicals storming the Capitol ‘special people’.
“This is an emergency situation and we are taking appropriate emergency measures, including removing President Trump’s video, We removed it because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence,” said Guy Rosen.
Meanwhile Twitter said that Trump’s messages were violations of the platform’s rules on civic integrity and that any future violations “will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.” The messaging platform said Trump’s account would be locked for 12 hours and that if the offending tweets were not removed, “the account will remain locked.”