tame Times Fresh Approach to local news

Tag: Arrested

Magashule won’t step down yet

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule has told supporters outside court today that only the branches of the ANC could decide whether he should step aside. Magashule has been granted bail of R200,000 by the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court.

He has been directed not to make any contact with former PA Moroadi Cholota who has now turned state witness. This is in connection with the R255 million asbestos audit in 2014 when Magashule was still the Free State Premier.

Seven others have also been charged and the case has been postponed to February 2021. Addressing supporters outside the court, Magashule said he would not be stepping down at this stage. “I was elected by branches at conference. The voices of branches must say to me I must step aside and I will then do so.”

This is in contrast to the instruction by President Cyril Ramaphosa that all members accused of an offence will step aside. Magashule said he would never leave the ANC, regardless of what happens. “I will never leave the ANC. I am not going to do like those leaders who left the ANC. I remain in the ANC. I will come fend for it. You won’t remove me. You will find me there.”

Pule Mabe, ANC spokesperson, was also at the court and indicated that Magashule said he would continue to co-operate with the court. “He was here in court and still showed the necessary cooperation. This is quite encouraging to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and to allow processes to follow their due course.”

Earlier in the day Magashule supporters clashed with police. Mkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans spokesperson and Magashule supporter, Carl Niehaus, was removed by police outside the court. It is unclear why he was defying police orders but former North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo defused the situation and later accused police of poor handling of the crowds that had gathered this morning.

Niehaus alleged that he was injured and he accused police of damaging his hearing aid. Other senior ANC members also attended the court proceedings. Yengeni said the Secretary General was going nowhere and former minister Malusi Gigaba said it was important that state organs maintained neutrality in the political affairs of the country and ANC factions.

Magashule agreed, saying the party had been infiltrated by those who were working with apartheid agents.

Two suspects arrested for murder of Eden Park girl

Two men were arrested for the killing of a nine-year-old girl in Eden Park, Johannesburg and are expected to make an appearance in the Palm Ridge Magistrate Court on Thursday, 12 November 2020.

According to the South African Police Service (SAPS) in the province, the girl had been missing since the morning of Tuesday, 10 November 2020 – and the suspects, aged 16 and 36 in Tsietsi Phase 6, were arrested just hours later.

The child had been sent to a nearby tuckshop and hadn’t been seen since.

“The child was however, only reported missing at Eden Park SAPS around 14:00 and police immediately activated a multi-disciplinary search party and together with some community members, started searching for the child,” said SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Mathapelo Peters.

It was only after they got to the tuckshop, that a gruesome discovery would soon be made.

“At the tuckshop where the child had gone, the 16-year-old suspect who assists there could not provide satisfactory answers on being questioned about the whereabouts of the missing child and this, is when the search was extended to his room where the body of the nine-year-old girl was found with a stab wound to the upper body, wrapped in plastic”

SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Mathapelo Peters

Police said the tuckshop owner and the teenager were subsequently both arrested and it was found that the latter suspect was in possession of a fraudulent RSA identity document (ID).

It has been learnt that the wife of the 36-year-old suspect was then assaulted by members of the community, who were outraged by the vicious murder. Police were able to rescue the woman who was then transported to a nearby hospital for medical attention.

The woman will also appear in court, in absentia. The three have been charged with kidnapping, murder, and contravention of the Immigration Act.

In light of the tragedy, police have further reminded people that there is no waiting period to report a missing person.

“The SAPS commits to giving priority attention to cases where women, children and other vulnerable persons are victims,” Peters further said.

2 arrested for staging Gauteng cash-in-transit heists

Two men have been arrested for allegedly staging a cash-in-transit robbery in Northriding last week. Hawks spokesperson, Captain Ndivhuwo Mulamu, said the ‘robberies’ took place on Monday and Thursday.

Mulami said Aaron Kgotso Matsotso (44) also known as “Terence” allegedly drove off after his crew went into a food outlet at Bellairs shopping centre to collect money.

“Later the Hawks members proceeded to a crime scene where the same cash van was found, set alight, in Douglasdale.

An undisclosed amount of money was found at the back of the cash van after it was extinguished.

Matsotso was taken in for questioning and he was subsequently charged for cash in-transit robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, perjury, malicious damage to property, possession of explosives, and defeating the ends of justice,” Mulamu said.

Malumu added that Matsotso appeared before the Randburg Regional Court and is remanded in custody.

The matter is postponed to 11 November for formal bail application and further investigation.

Meanwhile, the Hawks assisted by Crime Intelligence, the Provincial Specific Crimes, Counter Intelligence, K9, Bomb Disposal, and Tactical Response Team kept surveillance on the second suspect who was positively linked to the same incident.

“He was apprehended at his home in Dube, Soweto in the early hours of Thursday.

The joint team managed to seize an undisclosed amount of money, two vehicles, laptops, and Fidelity uniform.

The 40-year-old man is expected to appear before the Randburg Regional Court on Monday facing similar charges with his co-accused,” Mulamu said.

Investigations are still continuing.

4 House Robbers arrested after high speed chase.

Fox Tactical Units, working with members of Mondeor SAPS, responded when they received a hit from Vumacams in Mulbarton, Glenvista. A high speed chase ensued from Eves Road in Mulbarton, on to Swartkoppies road. The suspects started firing at Fox and the police and officers returned fire. The driver of the suspects car lost control of the vehicle and crashed. Four suspects were arrested at the scene.

Ekurhuleni News: Dedicated Drug Unit Record Successes

The City’s established its own Drug Enforcement Unit (DEU) within the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD) in 2015.

Commandeered by Superintendent Deon Singh, a number of arrests have been made and he urges the community to work with his unit to root out this scourge from the community.

The DEU has busted numerous narcotics manufacturing plants and syndicates with millions of Rands worth of narcotics seized in and around Ekurhuleni.

This was possible due to tip offs from the community, and through the unit’s own thorough and dedicated stakeouts and tireless surveillances.

Among several convictions realised by the unit, two are still prominent. Two foreign nationals were convicted and sentenced to 10 and 20 years in prison in two separate cases at the Benoni Magistrates’ Courts.

DEU’s recent successes include 13 arrests with seizure of narcotics to the value of R3.4m in,

  • Reiger Park
  • Alberton
  • Kempton Park
  • Eden Park
  • Katlehong
  • Palmridge

In one guesthouse in Kempton Park, the unit seized 1.3kg of Ephedrine, with a street value of R1.3m, destined for narcotics manufacturing plants. A foreign national was arrested with R5m worth of crystal meth.

Community members are welcome to contact Supt Singh to report any drug suspicions or dealings.  

Communication will be dealt with the utmost importance and community members may remain anonymous.

He can be reached on:

  • Cell: 074 500 0007
  • Office: 011 999 1734.

 

Source: Ekurhuleni

Local News: Bassonia businessman in court for approximately R7.5 million alleged fraud

The Palm Ridge Specialised Commercial Crimes Court has granted bail to alleged fraudster, Deon Pillay (40) on charges of fraud at Palm Ridge in Ekurhuleni on Tuesday.

It is alleged that Esizwe Technology CC, Managing Director, Pillay allegedly created false product invoice of approximately R7.5 million to City of Johannesburg (CoJ) for procurement and purchasing of office desktop computers in February 2018.

Further investigation revealed that Pillay kept the procured desktop computers in his possession and did not deliver as per invoice.

Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crime Investigation unit in Johannesburg arrested Pilllay at his residence in Bassonia on Monday afternoon regarding the fraud and theft allegations.

Pillay was granted R50 000 bail and the case is postponed to 05 October 2020, pending further investigation.

 

Source: SAPS

Krugersdorp News: Man arrested for 2 cartons of cigarettes during lockdown – case acquitted.

A 42-year-old Krugersdorp man who spent hours behind bars after being arrested for being in possession of sealed cigarettes during the lockdown has been acquitted in a test case brought by AfriForum, TimesLive reported.

Andries Hennop was cleared on Friday after his arrest on May 22. He was stopped during a roadblock in Roodepoort, west of Johannesburg, where traffic officers found two cartons of cigarettes in his possession.

“Police officers who arrested me said I was being arrested because the cigarettes had been closed and this was not allowed,” he said.

The dental technician had maintained his innocence since his arrest, as he argued the cigarettes had been purchased before the ban.

According to TimesLive, he described his three-month court battle as a victory and “an affirmation of the wrongful arrest”. 

“It’s just an affirmation of what I’ve always know, that my arrest was unlawful … I am glad it’s all over now”.

He recalled how his arrest and subsequent court appearances affected his business and family.

“It was bad. My wife had to run around to try find bail money, my kids didn’t take it well as they are very sensitive and we’ve always had an open-book policy … you can imagine with the business as well, it was lockdown, things were not going well already and something like this came through as well,” he said.

Hennop is now considering civil action.

“I think that even though I’ve always said the police officers do good work, but they have to know the law. It does not help to have someone in uniform, wearing a badge and not knowing what the laws are. At the end of the day, that’s the one thing I hope comes out of this. At least there will one or two officers who know better about the law before they act on anything.”

Marnus Kamfer, AfriForum’s legal and risk manager, described Hennop’s acquittal as a victory for the country.

“This is a major victory for the citizens of SA over the unfair behaviour of members of the law enforcement authorities, who hide behind alleged violations of the lockdown regulations,” said Kamfer.

“The SAPS warned its members during the lockdown to use great care when they execute arrests during the lockdown. Members were also warned that they would be held personally responsible for any costs that the SAPS will have to incur as a result of claims that are instituted successfully against the SAPS by aggrieved citizens. We would like to see that the respective members pay the price, instead of the taxpayer having the worst of it because of members’ unlawful behaviour,” Kamfer added.

News: Notorious hijacker to appear in court

One of the most notorious alleged car hijackers who operated around Mmakau, Klipgat and Akasia in Gauteng Province, is expected to make his first appearance in the Brits Magistrates’ Court today on three charges of carjacking and one of murder.

 The suspect was arrested on Tuesday, 11 August 2020, at Double Quick Section, Winterveld.

During the arrest, the suspect was found in possession of suspected stolen motor vehicle which was positively linked to a car hijacking committed last month in Akasia. He was further found in possession of unlicensed firearm, ammunition and a cell phone belonging to one of the car hijackings victim.

Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect was wanted for five car hijackings committed around Mmakau between August 2019 and June 2020.  He has also been linked with two armed robberies which were allegedly committed in Klipgat in July and August 2020.

 

Source: SAPS

JHB News: Police arrest two suspects and seize explosives

Police on Wednesday, 12 August 2020 arrested two suspects and seized explosives while patrolling the Zamimpilo informal settlement in Langlaagte, Johannesburg, Arrive Alive reported.

Members from Langlaagte stopped and searched a man suspected of selling cigarettes and instead discovered explosives in a plastic bag.

According to Arrive Alive, the K9 Unit was summoned and on arrival confirmed that the contents of the plastic bag were indeed explosives: 20 sticks of power gel, 10 connectors capped fuses, 10 meters of ignitor cord.

A further search at the man’s shack led to the discovery of even more explosives: 90 meters of ignitor cord, 85 connectors capped fuses, and 84 more sticks of power gel. A woman was also arrested.

The suspects are expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Friday, 14 August 2020.

Gauteng Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela has commended the team for both their vigilance and diligence, particularly on learning that the members had refused a bribe allegedly offered by the male suspect as he was being arrested.

Police have previously disrupted illegal mining activities in the Langlaagte area as such activities have been found to contribute to serious and violent crimes such as murder.

The SAPS together with other law enforcement agencies in Gauteng will, therefore, continue with such patrols and integrated disruptive operations in areas known to be problematic, and make sure that criminals are removed from the streets of Gauteng and put behind bars.

Alberton News: Shopping Spree Comes to Abrupt End after Fraudster was Identified

On Women’s Day, the EMPD picked up and booked a male suspect for using a fake identity document at Alberton City shopping mall.

Patrolling officers jumped into action after the mall’s security flagged them down for assistance.

A 39-year old suspect, who was kept in the shopping mall’s holding cells, was escorted to the Alberton police station and a case of fraud, was registered against him.

The police learned that earlier this year a known local philanthropist in possession of a smart card ID, residing in the City, visited the nearest police station and filled in an affidavit after he noticed that someone was using his ID number for buying cell phones, clothes and groceries in Tshwane, KZN and Johannesburg, without his consent. These details were circulated to different retailers.

When the suspect attempted to buy expensive clothes in one of the shops, thorough verification was done and the man claiming to be the victim was handcuffed and marched to the holding cells.

The man is expected to appear in the Palmridge Magistrate’s Court soon.

  • 1
  • 2

About Tame Times

Tame Communications (known as tame TIMES) was established in 2009. This long-established popular community title includes the key shopping centres:  Alberton City, Mal...

Get in Touch