Gauteng: Not digging graves in anticipation of Covid-19 deaths.

Gauteng: Not digging graves in anticipation of Covid-19 deaths.

The city of Johannesburg on Thursday moved to clarify reports that suggested more than a million graves had been dug.

Mayoral spokesperson Mlimandlela Ndamase told TimesLIVE that the city had made provision for a total of 1.4 million graves for “any deaths”.

“These are serviced as and when a burial must take place and not prior.”

Gauteng health department spokesperson Kwara Kekana said there were “not more than a million already open, dug graves”, saying that number refers to the collective capacity of municipalities.

“The department is continuing to improve and increase both the infrastructure and human resource capacity of the health system to deal with the increasing pressure from the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We understand that the subject of death is an uncomfortable matter to engage in. However, ensuring that there is adequate burial space in the province unfortunately forms part of the reality government must contend with in the battle against Covid-19.”

 

https://twitter.com/bandilemasuku/status/1281162514743676928?s=20

 

Source: TimesLive

Picture Credit: Thapelo Morebudi/Sunday Times


React

Share

Comments


Trending News

More News

About Tame Times

Providing readers with informative and exciting news, tame TIMES is the fastest growing independent newspaper stable servicing Johannesburg South and Ekurhuleni areas....

Get in Touch