The latest COVID-19 figures released by Health Minister Zweli Mkhize on Thursday evening make for a worrying read, with cases having breached the 4 000 mark for the second consecutive day. Cases increased by 4 424 in the last 24-hours, meaning that the total number of infections that have been accumulatively reported since March 2020 has risen to 1 649 977.
Sadly, over the last 24-hours alone, a further 93 people have died from COVID-19, meaning that a total of 56 170 people have succumbed to the virus since the first death in March 2020.
#COVID19 UPDATE: A total of 43 442 tests were conducted in the last 24 hrs, with 4 424 new cases, which represents a 10.2% positivity rate. A further 93 #COVID19 related deaths have been reported, bringing total fatalities to 56 170 to date. pic.twitter.com/UyFFt7eWSy
— NICD (@nicd_sa) May 27, 2021
The following number of confirmed COVID-19 infections have been recorded in each province since the pandemic first began last year:
A total of 828 204 people have received either the Pfizer or Johnson and Johnson jab in South Africa to date, with Mkhize saying on Thursday that the Department of Health has managed to resolve issues relating to vaccine data collection.
He said that prior records may have contained duplicated figures, but is now confident that the numbers reflect the present status of South Africa’s sluggish vaccine rollout strategy. The total number of people vaccinated under the Sisonke Programme during Phase 1 of the rollout is 479 768, with 348 436 people having received their first of two Pfizer jabs during Phase 2.
“These vaccinations were with the one-dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine and are therefore completed vaccinations. As we indicated, the teams undertook data verification processes over the weekend in preparation for the finalisation of a public facing live dashboard,” he said.
“The number reflected today is a result of this process, which removed duplications and vaccinations assigned incorrectly to Sisonke,” Mkhize concluded.