Two trucks were set alight on the R59 near Albertsdal in Gauteng. One was set alight before midnight and the other after 01H00 on Thursday. In one incident the driver were shot and is in critical condition in hospital according to police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Brenda Muridili.
It is alleged that both trucks were set alight by a group of six men driving a Hyundai H100.
On Wednesday, two trucks were set alight on the N12 highway near Daveyton, Ekurhuleni and on Saturday, 5 trucks were set alight on the R59 between Parys and Sasolburg.
Last week 9 trucks with trailers were torced near Heidelberg , Gauteng.
On Tuesday President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the “mindless and bloody lawlessness” which has characterised the fatal attacks on road freight drivers and destruction of property since last week in the country.
The president’s outburst also came after the Road Freight Association had called for his urgent intervention to prevent more attacks on trucks in the country.
The association’s chief executive officer, Gavin Kelly said that the attacks were a threat to South Africa’s economic recovery post-COVID-19. Kelly said that the attacks appeared to be directed at foreigners.
Police have confirmed that a KwaZulu-Natal truck driver was murdered in Gauteng on Monday night. They are now searching for the killers of the 45-year-old man from Pinetown, who was shot and partially burnt. His body was found in a field in Alberton, not far from where the truck he was driving was set alight.
Ramaphosa commended the police work that has led to arrests in Gauteng in the past 24 hours.