3 tbsp butter
3 onions, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp curry powder
3 tbsp coriander seeds
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup white wine vinegar
Juice of 3 lemons
1.5 kg hake fillet, cut into 5 cm cubes
18 dried apricots
Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Fry onions until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and coriander seeds. Fry until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook until it caramelises, 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and lemon juice, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, place fish and dried fruit on 6 wooden skewers. Season and place 1 layer in a non-metal container.
- Pour the cooled marinade over the fish. Place in the fridge at least overnight, preferably for 3 days, to allow the flavour to develop. Turn the sosaties 2–3 times while they are marinating.
- Braai the sosaties over medium coals for 20 minutes or cook in a 180°C oven for 20 minutes.
Photo Credit: Pinterest